FULL-TIME: Excelsior 1 Swans 5

7th July 2013

The Swans came from behind to win their second Dutch tour friendly 5-1 as third-tier side Excelsior Maassluis were put to the sword.
After the hosts took the lead early on via Sten Wever following a defensive lapse, the Swans showed their class as Roland Lamah and Rory Donnelly fired them ahead before the break.
And there was plenty to cheer about for the Swans in the second half too, with Alejandro Pozuelo, Kenji Gorre and Nathan Dyer putting the finishing touches to a win that ensures the Swans followed up their opening tour win over FC Gravendande 24 hours earlier.

SWANS (first half): Gerhard Tremmel, Jazz Richards, Chico Flores, Jordi Amat, Ben Davies, Jose Canas, Jonjo Shelvey, Wayne Routledge, Pablo Hernandez, Roland Lamah, Rory Donnelly.
SWANS (second half): Gregor Zabret, Angel Rangel, Garry Monk, Ashley Williams, Neil Taylor, Leon Britton, Ki Sung-Yueng, Alejandro Pozuelo, Nathan Dyer, Kenji Gorre, Michu.

With the sun beaming down, it was the hosts who got off to a perfect start as they took the lead after just seven minutes.
Following a defensive mix-up, the Swans - wearing their new purple and yellow away shirts for the first time - paid the price as Sten Wever latched onto the loose ball to round Gerhard Tremmel and slot home despite Ben Davies' last-gasp efforts to keep the effort out.
The Swans responded with their first real effort as Rory Donnelly's glancing header from a Jonjo Shelvey cross floated just past the angle of the goal, while the Northern Irish striker then volleyed a curling Davies centre soon after.
The Swans continued to push for an equaliser, with Roland Lamah heading over from Jazz Richards' cross.
But then Davies came to the rescue during a swift Excelsior counter attack, as the Welsh international had to be on his toes to clear off the line after the visitors' defence failed to deal with a pinpoint cross which was headed goalward.
But just the Swans were level seconds later as Davies' lofted pass sent Lamah in on goal, and the Belgian slotted home past the keeper in the 17th minute with the home defence beaten by the winger's pace.
Lamah went agonisingly close to giving the Swans the lead almost straight from the restart as he raced onto a Shelvey pass. Lamah's right-footed shot beat the keeper but not the far post as it bounced back out off the woodwork.
Like the Gravenzande game 24 hours earlier, the conditions meant the game took a brief water break after 20 minutes, with both teams keen to freshen up with the sun glaring down.
And the break did the trick as Donnelly got his first goal of the tour when he controlled Shelvey's exquisite pass before turning onto his right foot and firing into the far corner from ten yards after 28 minutes.
Shelvey went within inches of doubling the advantage when his low free-kick bounced wide before Davies drilled his effort straight at the keeper.
The wave of Swans pressure continued, with Donnelly working his way past his marker before being snuffed out by the keeper and then Wayne Routledge struck the post for the second time in as many games. Following Shelvey's sublime 30-yard pass, Routledge was in on goal, and when he turned and chipped the keeper, it looked destined to drop into the net but he was denied by the woodwork.
Then, in a rare attack, Excelsior went close to equalising, but Tremmel watched a volley bounce across goal and out for a goal-kick.

Half-time: Excelsior 1 Swans 2

As expected, Michael Laudrup changed his entire team for the second half, which meant the first minutes of the tour for Michu, who had recovered from a tight quad.
The Spaniard made his presence known early on, and even picked up a booking for a sliding challenge just ten minutes in.
Second-half replacement Kenji Gorre then drew a decent reaction save from the keeper after wrong-footing his marker down the left flank.
At the other end, Gregor Zabret made an impressive diving save to collect a free-kick, before an excellent pass from Ashley Williams found Alejandro Pozuelo, and the Spaniard controlled well but could only rifle his shot straight at the keeper.
Michu then headed over Ki Sung-Yueng's free-kick delivery before the second drinks break of the game.
And again, the break paid off as Pozuelo's neat lob left the keeper, who had raced out to head a through ball which went straight to the Spaniard, stranded after 70 minutes to extend the lead.
Then came goal number four in the 75th minute, with Gorre's close-range effort creeping the line despite the efforts of the keeper after Michu had teed up the Dutch winger.
Pozuelo went close to extending the lead further with a curling effort which whistled past the far post, and then Michu failed to direct Nathan Dyer's cross on target.
The home keeper then had to get down to deny Ki Sung-Yueng's thunderous low effort with a one-handed save as the Swans continued to dominate.
There wasn't long to wait for the fifth goal, however, as Pozuelo turned provider for Dyer as he sliced open the home defence with a sublime pass, and Dyer slotted home in the 88th minute.
That was the end of the action as Laudrup's side left with another result and performance that puts them in good stead ahead of the next friendly with NAC Breda on Wednesday.