FULL-TIME: Man Utd 2 Swans 0

11th January 2014

Second-half goals from Antonio Valencia and Danny Welbeck meant there was no repeat of Swansea City's FA Cup heroics as Manchester United claimed a 2-0 win at Old Trafford.
After a memorable 2-1 victory in the third round six days ago, this time it was the Swans who tasted defeat as United claimed three valuable Barclays Premier League points.
A goal-less first half saw the Swans enjoy the majority of possession, while David Moyes' side created a number of chances which they failed to convert.
The Swans were also dealt a blow as Jose Canas left the field with an injury after just 17 minutes, with Chico Flores replacing him while centre-back Jordi Amat moved into midfield.
But the hosts were clinical in the second half, with the opener after 48 minutes.
First, Valencia fired home from close range after Rafael's header from Adnan Januzaj's cross was parried down by Gerhard Tremmel into the path of the Ecuadorian.
Then, just before the hour, Welbeck slotted into the bottom corner after another Januzaj cross into the box caused problems.
Leon Britton would later clear off his own line as United pushed for a third, but it mattered not as the hosts took the three points.
It meant the Swans remained in 13th position with 21 points from as many games.

The Swans made four changes to the starting XI.
Michael Laudrup made three changes to his defence as full-backs Angel Rangel and Ben Davies returned while Ashley Williams was back to skipper the side.
The other change saw Jose Canas go into midfield alongside Leon Britton and Jonjo Shelvey.
The Swans were without Michel Vorm, Dwight Tiendalli, Jonathan de Guzman, Nathan Dyer, Pablo Hernandez and Michu through injury.

MAN UTD:David de Gea, Rafael, Chris Smalling, Nemanja Vidic (capt), Patrice Evra (Alexander Buttner, 81), Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher, Antonio Valencia, Shinji Kagawa, Adnan Januzaj, Danny Welbeck (Javier Hernandez, 86).
SUBS: Anders Lindegaard, Ryan Giggs, Tom Cleverley, Wilfried Zaha, Jesse Lingard.

SWANS: Gerhard Tremmel, Angel Rangel, Jordi Amat, Ashley Williams (capt), Ben Davies, Leon Britton, Jose Canas (Chico Flores, 17), Jonjo Shelvey (
Alvaro Vazquez, 63), Alejandro Pozuelo, Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony.
SUBS: David Cornell, Jazz Richards, Neil Taylor, Lee Lucas, Rory Donnelly.

In what was a busy start to the match, both sides settled into the encounter.
Jonjo Shelvey's attempt with the outside of his right foot was directed straight at David de Gea following Wayne Routledge's pass, and then Manchester untied created a few chances of their own.
Nemanja Vidic fired over after Adnan Januzaj's free-kick was not cleared properly and then the Swans had a major fright as another Januzaj free-kick rattled the crossbar before Gerhard Tremmel punched clear.
The Swans were dealt a blow in the 17th minute as Jose Canas was forced off through injury which meant Chico Flores took his place.
With Chico moving into defence, Jordi Amat was pushed into midfield.
The Swans were enjoying the majority of possession while United created chances when they pushed forward, with Patrice Evra, Darren Fletcher and Danny Welbeck all off target - the latter following a fine move involving Valencia and Rafael down the hosts' right flank.
Michael Laudrup's side then probed themselves, with Shelvey scuffing an effort low and wide after Amat found him in space at the edge of the box.
Pozuelo then saw his shot deflected out for a corner in what proved to be the final action of a satisfying half for the Swans.

HALF-TIME: Manchester United 0 Swans 0

The hosts were quick out of the blocks after the restart, and they broke the deadlock just three minutes in.
Januzaj's cross was nodded out by Ashley Williams to Rafael, and when his header was parried by Tremmel, Valencia fired in from six yards.
Kawawa almost doubled the lead soon after while, at the other end, Shelvey blasted high and wide when he cut back inside onto his left foot.
But United would extend their advantage on 59 minutes as Welbeck guided home after another Januzaj cross caused havoc in the Swans box.
Laudrup would respond by sending on Alvaro Vazquez in place of Shelvey, which saw the Spaniard move onto the right wing and Pozuleo cut inside behind Wilfried Bony.
Pozuelo showed his attacking intent by firing just over the crossbar from 25 yards as the Swans went in search of a goal to get them back into the game.
But United should have added a third moments later as Kagawa's cross found Chris Smalling, but the centre-back volleyed over the crossbar from just eight yards.
Amat nodded Ben Davies' cross into the surface and straight into de Gea's hands and then, when United countered from a Swans corner, David Moyes' side went within inches of adding another. When Rafael sent Kagawa in on goal, the midfielder cut inside and fired a shot which Tremmel parried and Leon Britton cleared off the line.
That was the end of the action as United deservedly picked up three points to avenge their FA Cup exit to the Swans.