FULL-TIME: Swans 1 Newcastle 0

2nd March 2013

Super sub Luke Moore came off the bench to score an 86th-minute winner as the Swans reached the 40-point mark with a 1-0 win over Newcastle United.
Moore scrambled home just ten minutes after he had replaced Leon Britton, with this victory completing the double over the visitors - the first time they had done so in over 30 years.
Both sides had good chances in this game, Steven Taylor clearing Ashley Williams' effort off his own goal-line while Garry Monk mis-directed a header when well-placed in the first half.
Yohan Cabaye rattled the crossbar for Newcastle in the second half, while Papiss Cisse and Moussa Sissoko also tested Michel Vorm.
But Moore's introduction in the 76th minute proved the difference, as he bundled his effort past keeper Rob Elliot from six yards to ensure the feelgood factor continued at the Liberty following the Swans' Capital One Cup win six days ago

The Swans made two changes to the starting XI. Michel Vorm returned between the sticks in place of Gerhard Tremmel while Garry Monk captained the side as he went into defence with Ki Sung-Yueng moving to the bench.

Swans: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Garry Monk (capt), Ashley Williams, Ben Davies, Leon Britton (Luke Moore, 76), Jonathan de Guzman, Wayne Routledge, Nathan Dyer (Ki Sung-Yueng, 61), Pablo Hernandez (Dwight Tiendalli, 88), Michu.
Subs: Gerhard Tremmel, Kyle Bartley, Roland Lamah, Itay Shechter.

Newcastle: Rob Elliot, Davide Santon, Yohan Cabeye (capt), Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cisse, Yoan Gouffran, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Jonas Gutierrez (Sylvain Marveaux, 90), Cheick Tiote (Shola Ameobi, 90), Mathieu Debuchy, Steven Taylor.
Subs: Jak Alnwick, Vurnon Anita, James Perch, Massadio Haidara, Gabriel Obertan.

The Swans started brightly, and they almost broke the deadlock ten minutes in as Michu directed Jonathan de Guzman's free-kick back along goal. And when Ashley Williams managed to get slight contact on the cut-back, it took Steven Taylor's goal-line clearance to save Newcastle.
Taylor came to the rescue again four minutes later, clearing the danger as Michu was waiting to pounce following Rob Elliot's parry from de Guzman's low effort.
Newcastle's first main threat came just before the half hour, Yohan Cabeye's thunderous 30-yard free-kick being dealt with by Michel Vorm.
There was a brief lull in the game, before another fine de Guzman free-kick found Garry Monk, but the Swans skipper's header looped over the crossbar from ten yards out.
That was the end of the first half, but there promised to be more thrills and spills in the second half.

Half-time: Swans 0 Newcastle 0

The Swans made a promising start, Pablo Hernadez's through ball finding Angel Rangel, and when the Spaniard's thunderous effort was kept out by a strong hand from Elliot, Wayne Routledge's volley was half-saved by the keeper before Taylor, again, cleared from his own line.
Matthieu Debuchy volleyed wide as Newcastle responded soon after before Yoan Gouffran directed his header from a Jonas Gutierrez cross straight at Vorm.
Papiss Cisse then found himself in space after Moussa Sissoko's header caught out the home defence, but the striker's volley flew high over the crossbar.
Sissoko then teed up Gouffran, but he couldn't keep his effort down as Newcastle posed more of a threat in the final third.
Michael Laudrup then made a change for the last half hour as Ki Sung-Yueng replaced Nathan Dyer.
And Ki made an instant impact, getting onto the end of de Guzman's corner only for Gutierrez to block his header.
Newcastle responded though, Cabeye's 20-yard curling effort being tipped onto the crossbar by Vorm and out for a corner.
Sissoko was next to test Vorm, who was at his best to dive to his left and palm the thunderous shot wide for another corner.
The visitors kept plugging away, and Debuchy volleyed wide again after Tiote's cross found him at the edge of the area.
Laudrup made his second change, bringing Luke Moore on in place of Leon Britton.
The Swans replied through Ki, who latched onto Hernandez's through ball but his scuffed shot was swatted wide for a corner by Elliot.
Newcastle instantly responded, Sissoko driving across goal before the big chance came the hosts' way.
With four minutes remaining, Routledge's cross defleted off Davide Santon and dropped to Moore who dummied a shot before his effort took a slight deflection off the diving Cabeye and beat Elliot.
That proved to be the last real action as the Swans hit the 40-point mark.