Korey Smith pleased as Swansea City squad maintain high standards

29th July 2021
Forest Green Korey Smith

Korey Smith praised his team-mates for maintaining their high standards and delivering another pre-season victory as Swansea City saw off Forest Green Rovers.

Goals from Yan Dhanda and 16-year-old Ben Lloyd were enough to ensure the Swans maintained their perfect pre-season record, which also includes wins over Newport County and Plymouth Argyle.

The result came on the back of a period which saw head coach Steve Cooper leave the club, while last weekend’s friendly against Bristol Rovers had to be cancelled due to positive Covid-19 cases within the first-team bubble.

And Smith is pleased with the way the squad has coped during a testing period.

Forest Green Korey Smith 1

“It’s another game unbeaten in pre-season, which is good,” said Smith.

“It’s more minutes in the bank and another win.

“It’s been an up and down pre-season with everything that’s gone on, but we’ve got a really good team spirit.

“Unfortunately the game was cancelled last weekend, but we’ve kept our high standards.

“There are a few more experienced players in the squad and it’s more important now since the manager left that we step up and ensure the standard in training remains as high as it can be.

“We’ve all got to stick together as a club and move forward. Hopefully there are more positive things to come.”

Forest Green Ben Lloyd 1

A game which saw Alan Tate take control as the club seeks to appoint a new head coach will be fondly remembered for Lloyd’s stunning impact.

The academy midfielder, who had played for the club’s under-23s side the previous night, scored within seconds of being introduced as a second-half substitute.

He controlled Jake Bidwell’s pass before finding the top corner with his second touch in what was a superb introduction to the Jack Army.

His goal reaped plenty of praise from Smith.

He added: “A big well done to Ben Lloyd. It was an amazing moment for him.

“I spoke to him after the match and he said he didn’t know until 9.30pm the previous night that he’d be involved, so he couldn’t sleep.

“He came on, two touches and bang it’s in the top corner.

“It was great to hear the fans singing his name too.”