Korey Smith

Report | Queens Park Rangers 0 Swansea City 0

25th January 2022
First team

Swansea City had to settle for a point on their travels as they were held to a goalless draw by Queens Park Rangers despite being reduced to ten men.

Neither side managed to create any clear cut chances in the first half but the game opened up after the restart.

Joel Piroe saw an effort saved by David Marshall, while at the other end Luke Amos struck the foot of the post.

Ben Hamer had to be at his best to deny Lyndon Dykes in the final 10 minutes, while the Swans thought they they’d won it late on but Michael Obafemi saw his goal ruled out for offside.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men as the game edged towards stoppage time as Flynn Downes was given his marching orders following an altercation with Charlie Austin.

Hannes Wolf

Russell Martin made one change to his starting line-up as Hannes Wolf – who joined on loan from Borussia Monchengladbach last week – made his first start for the club in place of Olivier Ntcham, who missed out through injury.

Ben Hamer continued in goal, with Ben Cabango, Kyle Naughton and Ryan Manning operating in a three-man defence in front of him.

Cyrus Christie and Joel Latibeaudiere continued at wing-back having been prominent in the victory over Preston.

Skipper Matt Grimes and Flynn Downes paired up again in midfield, with Korey Smith and Wolf providing support to Joel Piroe in attack.

The game got off to a frantic start as both sides tried to stamp their authority on the contest in front of a fine atmosphere inside the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

The Swans’ first sight of goal came after just seven minutes as Hannes Wolf’s free kick from the left was cleared as far as Matt Grimes but the skipper’s volley flew over the crossbar.

At the other end, Rangers were getting the ball forward quickly and created a chance of their own as a sweeping move down the left saw a deep cross nodded down by Charlie Austin to set up Moses Odubajo, but his left-foot strike was well blocked by Joel Latibeaudiere.

Neither goalkeeper had been called into action in opening quarter as the two teams searched for quality in the final third, however Chris Willock cut in from the right flank soon after but his tame effort was comfortably saved by Ben Hamer.

Ten minutes before the break and Hamer was called into action once more as he did superbly to keep out Austin’s header from six yards out, however the linesman did have his flag up for offside despite the keeper’s heroics, with the first half remaining goalless.

Ryan Manning

But it was the visitors who had the first opening of the second period just five minutes after the restart. A fine move that started in the visitors' right-back position saw Flynn Downes make up ground in the Rangers half before finding Latibeaudiere on the left, and after the defender cut in and found Joel Piroe inside the box the Dutchman's left-foot shot was turned round the post by David Marshall.

However, the home side came even closer to breaking the deadlock on 58 minutes as Luke Amos broke forward on the right before driving into the penalty area and seeing his low drive bounce back off the post. At the other end, Korey Smith found himself in space following a scramble inside the box but he could only drag his effort wide of the Marshall's right-hand post.

Russell Martin made his first changes of the evening as the game approached the final quarter, with Joel Piroe and Hannes Wolf making way for Michael Obafemi and Jay Fulton.

The Swans continued to press for an opener and created a glorious chance with 13 minutes to play as Matt Grimes won possession superbly inside the Rangers half before playing in Latibeaudiere on the left edge of the box, and as the defender cut inside the box his low effort from 12 yards out trickled just wide of the far post.

At the other end, Hamer was once again at his best as the home side came mightily close to going ahead. As Willock broke down the left and found substitute Lyndon Dykes in space inside the penalty area, the Scottish international took a touch before firing at goal but Hamer stood firm to keep it out.

But as the game edged towards stoppage time the visitors were reduced to ten men as Flynn Downes was sent off following an altercation.

Queens Park Rangers: David Marshall; Lee Wallace (Albert Adomah, 60), Rob Dickie, Yoann Barbet, Stefan Johansen (captain); Luke Amos (Lyndon Dykes, 60), Sam Field, Jimmy Dunne, Chris Willock (George Thomas, 82), Moses Odubajo; Charlie Austin.

Unused Substitutes: Joe Lumley, Jordy de Wijs, Dominic Ball, Andre Dozzell.

Swansea City: Ben Hamer; Ben Cabango, Kyle Naughton, Ryan Manning; Cyrus Christie, Flynn Downes, Matt Grimes (captain), Joel Latibeaudiere; Korey Smith, Hannes Wolf (Jay Fulton, 66); Joel Piroe (Michael Obafemi, 66).

Unused Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Ryan Bennett, Kyle Joseph, Liam Walsh, Azeem Abdulai.