Report | Queens Park Rangers U18s 3 Swansea City U18s 2

16th March 2021
Cameron Congreve

Swansea City Under-18s suffered stoppage-time heartbreak against Queens Park Rangers in Professional Development League South.

The young Swans twice came from behind at Heston Sports Ground, with strikes from Rio Campbell and Cameron Congreve appearing to secure a share of the spoils.

But there was to be a late twist as the hosts snatched all three points with a free-kick deep into stoppage time.

Byron Anthony made seven changes to the side beaten by Charlton Athletic on Saturday, with Jacob Edwards, Sebastian Dabrowski, Iwan Morgan and Ben Lloyd the only players to remain in the starting 11.

There were also returns for the likes of Campbell, Congreve, Morgan Clarke and skipper Scott Butler; providing the young Swans with a greater balance as they produced a much-improved performance from the weekend.

Although they trailed at the break, the visitors responded well in the second half and equalised through the impressive Campbell.

Receiving the ball on the left following a good switch of play, the winger drove at the full-back before sending a low shot into the far corner for his third goal in as many under-18s appearances.

Despite falling behind again, the Swans hit back once more and thought they had grabbed a share of the spoils with two minutes remaining.

Congreve calmly converted his fifth goal of the season – making him the under-18s’ leading marksman outright – from the penalty spot after Dabrowski was brought down in the box.

But the young Swans were to leave London empty handed as the hosts were awarded a free-kick deep into stoppage time, which resulted in the delivery beating Tyler Evans off the underside of the crossbar.

Swans U18s: Tyler Evans; Jacob Edwards, Scott Butler (Panashe Makokowe, 60), Cian Williams, Sebastian Dabrowski; Adnaan Moti, Cameron Congreve, Ben Lloyd; Morgan Clarke (Aaron Hillier, 65), Iwan Morgan (Geoff Bony, 70), Rio Campbell.

Subs not used: Josh Hutchings, Dan Watts.