Report | Sheffield United U21s 5 Swansea City U21s 1

27th February
Mitchell Bates Sheffield United

Swansea City Under-21s bowed out of the Premier League Cup after defeat to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. 

Mason Holgate headed the hosts ahead in the ninth minute, with William Osula adding a second with another powerful header before half-time.

Jay Tinsdale netted the third goal of the evening in the second period after capitalising on a loose pass to send his low shot round the keeper before Oliver Arblaster got on the scoresheet on the the hour mark with a close-range finish.

Cameron Congreve pulled a goal back when he converted from the spot with 10 minutes to go after Sammy Henia-Kamau was fouled inside the six-yard box, but the Blades went straight up the other end to round off the scoring as Osula completed his brace.

Filip Lissah had returned to skipper the Swansea side after enjoying his recent experience in Luke Williams' first-team set up. Joe Thomas, meanwhile, was handed his first start since suffering an ankle injury in early January.

The Swans fashioned the first chance of the evening, Liam Smith cut inside after fending off two Bladesmen but saw his effort blocked.

United then sent Andre Brooks in on goal, forcing Archie Matthews to scamper off his line to collect.

However, from the Blades’ second corner in the opening stages, on-loan Everton centre-back Holgate rose highest to head home Sydie Peck’s delivery inside 10 minutes.

The hosts almost added a second when Matthews was called into action moments later. The goalkeeper pushed away Osula's close-range strike.

Richard Faakye's sliding tackle then blocked Tinsdale's shot, with Matthews safely collecting a follow-up effort.

Scotsman Smith tried his luck again for the Swans after some good pressing work, only for his shot from a tight angle to be sent wide of the target.

Richard Faakye

Smith got involved again and proved luckless once more.

Lissah advanced down the middle and made space to pick out Ben Lloyd. Smith emerged from the right to reach the cross from the Welshman, but could not connect cleanly.

Congreve then fired behind from an excellent delivery by Thomas just before the break.

Swansea had enjoyed the better end to the first period but they fell further behind early in the second.

The Blades got their third goal of the evening within five minutes of the restart. Tinsdale got hold of a loose pass and rounded the Swans keeper to slot the ball into the empty net. 

Swansea continued to battle. Thomas saw a powerful header cleared off the line from a corner,  after Smith's initial deflected strike has flown over the bar seconds before.

It was the hosts who were proving more clinical in front of goal, and they added a fourth goal when Arblaster was found free in space to drill the ball beneath Matthews.

The Swans were awarded a penalty in the closing stages after Henia-Kamau was brought down in the six-yard box, with Congreve converting from the spot to get the visitors on the board.

But United had the last word as Osula flew up the other end to find the bottom corner with a calm finish as the south Yorkshire club advanced to the quarter-finals.

Swansea City Under-21s: Archie Matthews, Joe Thomas (Iestyn Jones 81), Kian Jenkins, Joel Cotterill, Richard Faakye, Filip Lissah (Josh Carey 46), Ben Lloyd (Sammy Henia-Kamau 72), Mitchell Bates, Maliq Cadogan (Glory Nzingo 72), Cameron Congreve, Liam Smith.

Substitutes: Remy Mitchell.