Report: Swans U21s 2 Charlton Athletic 3

5th December 2017
Checkatrade Trophy

Swansea City Under-21s exited the Checkatrade Trophy at the second-round stage following a 3-2 defeat against League One side Charlton Athletic at the Liberty Stadium.

Watch the highlights - CLICK HERE

Winger Kenji Gorre had put the Swans before Reeco Hackett-Fairchild and Karlan Ahearne-Grant struck for the Addicks.

Jordan Garrick then levelled for the hosts, but it was the London side who progressed thanks to Hackett-Fairchild's winner.

The young Swans made eight changes to the team that lost their previous game against Newcastle United in the Premier League Cup.

Meanwhile, the Addicks also fielded a young side sprinkled with the experience of Leon Best, Jason Pearce and captain Johnnie Jackson.

The academy Swans attacked from the kick-off and showed their intent in the opening minutes as midfielder George Byers worked his way into the box before his cross – intended for striker Liam Cullen – was saved by Dillon Phillips.

It did not matter as Swansea broke the deadlock inside 10 minutes when winger Kenji Gorre picked up the ball in midfield to run at goal before firing a low shot into the corner.

The under-21s continued to attack and could have doubled their lead soon after as Byers and Gorre saw their efforts saved by Charlton keeper Phillips.

But the South London side found an equaliser on the quarter-hour mark as Joe Aribo’s cross found midfielder Reeco Hackett-Fairchild in the box to turn smartly before firing into the roof of the net.

Byers almost restored the Swans’ lead on 30 minutes following a neat one-two on the edge of the area, only for Phillips to save the midfielder’s effort at the near post.

Charlton punished the missed opportunity as the League One club took the lead minutes later when Karlan Ahearne-Grant carved his way into the box with Gregor Zabret unable to stop his drilled effort.

However, Swansea were back on level terms just before the break when Liam Cullen’s cross found Jordan Garrick in the area to slot home.

Charlton retook the lead five minutes into the second period as Hackett-Fairchild took full advantage of a corner from the left before hooking the side’s third goal of the evening past Zabret.

Captain Joe Rodon came close to finding an equaliser for Swansea from Byers’ corner, but the defender’s header bounced inches over the crossbar.

Substitute Courtney-Baker Richardson felt unlucky not have been awarded a penalty after he went down in the box.

Swansea continued to press for an equaliser in the closing minutes with Garrick and Baker-Richardson close to finding the net before the full-time whistle.

Swans U21s: Gregor Zabret, Tyler Reid, Aaron Lewis, Ryan Blair (Jack Evans 57), Cian Harries, Joe Rodon (capt), Jordon Garrick, Adam King, Liam Cullen (Courtney Baker-Richardson 67), George Byers, Kenji Gorre.

Subs not used: Lewis Thomas, Adnan Marić, Jack Bainbridge, Brandon Cooper, Matthew Blake.

Charlton Athletic: Dillon Phillips, Johnnie Jackson (capt), Jason Pearce (Harry Lennon 46), Leon Best (Matt Carter 88), Joe Aribo (George Lapslie 67), Karlan Ahearne-Grant, Regan Charles-Cook, Arron Barnes, Anfernee Dijksteel, Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, Jamie Mascoll.