Report | Swansea City 2 Luton Town 0

5th December 2020
First team
Connor Roberts Luton

Swansea City struck early and late as goals from Connor Roberts and Andre Ayew sealed victory over Luton Town at the Liberty Stadium.

There were less than two minutes on the clock when wing-back Roberts – who also netted at Nottingham Forest last Sunday – was teed up to fire a deflected shot into the net.

And there were less than two minutes of normal time left when Ayew picked up the ball and drove forward before firing an unstoppable strike into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Those goals settled a hard-fought contest where both sides had their chances, and the visitors ended a man down following the dismissal of defender Matty Pearson.

The result saw the Swans move back into the play-off places and get back to winning ways following their midweek defeat at Middlesbrough.

Cooper had made five changes from the midweek defeat at Middlesbrough as Kyle Naughton, Jake Bidwell, Matt Grimes, Yan Dhanda and Liam Cullen came into the side.

The Swans wanted a fast start and they got on as they led inside two minutes.

Cullen was first to Korey Smith’s cross, with Ayew then teeing up Roberts to fire a deflected strike beyond James Shea in the Luton goal.

Liam Cullen

They nearly doubled their lead in the 11th minute when Ben Cabango headed straight at Shea from a superb Roberts free-kick.

Cullen was looking particularly lively, with intelligent movement finding him pockets of space.

The forward brought down Smith’s cross and fired a left-footed volley across the face of goal.

Luton responded, Freddie Woodman just about doing enough to parry George Moncur’s curling strike onto the post.

Luke Berry than missed an absolute sitter in the 26th minute as Jordan Clark’s pull-back fell into his path after ricochet’s off Woodman and Ben Cabango, but the midfield lofted the ball over an empty net from eight yards.

Roberts fancied his chances of another goal when he weaved past two defenders on the edge of the Luton box, but his effort was blocked this time.

Andre Ayew

Dhanda was able to get his shot beyond a cluster of defenders just before the break, but his shot was gratefully held by Shea.

Ayew flicked a header wide from a Cullen cross early in the second half. Dhanda then over hit a pass to the Ghanaian as the Swans threatened to capitalise on a dangerous counter.

Luton captain Glen Rea was booked for a lunging challenge on Ayew a few minutes later as he tried to prevent another promising Swansea attack.

As had been the case in the first half, Swansea were clearly on top, but they could not find a second goal and Luton posed a threat with Harry Cornick heading wide shortly after his introduction as a substitute.

Jake Bidwell

But the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Pearson was given a second yellow after he caught Marc Guehi in the head as he went for an overhead kick.

Even so, it still needed a goal-line clearance from Ayew to prevent Rea heading in an equaliser from James Bree’s corner.

But Ayew put the game to bed as he took aim from 18 yards and fired home in the final moments.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ben Cabango, Marc Guehi (Joel Latibeaudiere 83); Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Yan Dhanda (Kasey Palmer 71); Liam Cullen (Jamal Lowe 71), Andre Ayew (Viktor Gyokeres 90).

Unused Substitutes: Steven Benda, Ryan Manning, Jay Fulton, Wayne Routledge, Jordon Garrick.

Luton Town: James Shea; James Bree, Tom Lockyer, Matty Pearson, Dan Potts; Glen Rea (captain), Jordan Clark; George Moncur (Elliot Lee 62), Luke Berry (Kazenga LuaLua 82), Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (Harry Cornick 62); James Collins.

Unused Substitutes: Ryan Tunnicliffe, Harry Isted, Brendan Galloway, Sam Nombe, Joe Morrell, Dion Pereira.

Referee: Leigh Doughty