Report | Swansea City 2 Mansfield Town 1

6th July 2019

Goals from Wayne Routledge and Barrie McKay saw Swansea City end their pre-season training camp in Spain with victory in Steve Cooper's first game in charge.

The Swans travelled across the Portuguese border to face League Two Mansfield in their first 90 minute-contest of pre-season.

Billed as a training game, Nicky Maynard fired The Stags ahead in the 35th minute only for Routledge to equalise right on the stroke of half-time.

With head coach Cooper changing his entire 11 after the break, the contest looked to be heading for a draw until McKay popped up two minutes from time with an excellent solo winner.

It was a good work out for the Swans, who head back to Wales tomorrow to continue their preparations for the new Championship campaign.

Goalkeeper Steven Benda, 20, was handed his first senior start by Cooper and the German played the full 90 minutes after Erwin Mulder picked up a slight muscle injury during training.

Fellow keeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt was not considered after joining the group late following international commitments over the summer.

Bersant Celina, Joel Asoro and new signing Jake Bidwell also sat out the opening game of pre-season after joining the squad late.

Cooper played different line-ups in each half. Academy products Brandon Cooper, Jack Evans, Jordon Garrick and Liam Cullen were handed senior starts in the opening 45 minutes after impressing during the week-long training camp.

After an even opening 10 minutes, the Swans started to get into their stride as Cullen turned on a Mike van der Hoorn cross only to fire straight at Conrad Logan in the Mansfield goal.

Mansfield responded when Benda had to be alert to save at the feet of Maynard in the 18th minute, as a Cian Harris back header fell slightly short of its intended target.

The Swans were soon back on the offensive though and should have taken the lead in the 25th minute when a great pass from Evans split The Stags defence.

Connor Roberts raced to the byline before pulling back a cross which Routledge met with a powerful shot. Logan did well to save before Oli McBurnie, playing in a number 10 role, fired the rebound over.

Mansfield had plenty of threats of their own though as Joe Quigley fired against the bar four minutes later.

It was a warning the Swans failed to heed as the League Two side took the lead in the 35th minute. CJ Hamilton created space down the left and, when the Swans failed to clear his cross, Maynard was perfectly placed to fire home from close range.

It sparked a good response from the Swans who equalised right on the stroke of half-time when a ball over the top from Van der Hoorn saw Routledge beat the offside trap to coolly round Logan.

Cooper changed his entire side for the start of the second-half, as did Mansfield, with the game slow to get going again.

In fact, the first chance of the half didn’t arrive until the 75th minute when good work from Yan Dhanda saw Courtney Baker-Richardson meet his cross with a great header. But Aidan Stone was down well to save low at the post.

The game looked to be heading to a draw until McKay picked the ball up on the left, weaved his way inside before firing a low shot under Stone with just two minutes remaining.

Swansea City (first-half): Steven Benda, Connor Roberts, Brandon Cooper, Cian Harries, Mike van der Hoorn, Matt Grimes, Jack Evans, Oli McBurnie, Wayne Routledge, Jordon Garrick (Joe Lewis 32), Liam Cullen.

Swansea City (second-half): Steven Benda, Kyle Naughton, Declan John, Joe Lewis, Joe Rodon, George Byers, Jay Fulton, Yan Dhanda, Nathan Dyer, Barrie McKay, Courtney Baker-Richardson. Subs: Ben Cabango, Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

Mansfield (first-half): Logan, Stokes, Pearce, Sweeney, Clarke, Bishop, Hamilton, Smith, Fielding, Quigley, Maynard.

Mansfield (second-half): Stone, Walker, Preston, Gibbens, Law, Mellis, Benning, Tomlinson, Khan, Cook, Rose.