Report | Swansea City U18s 0 Colchester United U18s 4

13th January
Josh Carey

Swansea City Under-18s suffered defeat against a clinical Colchester United side in their Professional Development League game.

The Swans initially kept possession well against the U’s high intensity press in the early exchanges, but two goals in quick succession shortly before half-time through Samson Uwandu turned the game on its head.

Jamie Arnold extended the lead further just after the break before captain Bayan Aman completed the scoring with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Colchester forged the first half-chance of the match inside the first minute with dangerman Uwandu using his pace to get down the Swans right, but Kit Margetson was off his line quickly to smother the chance.

The Swans created two early opportunities down the right with Sam Parker’s overlapping runs causing the visitors some problems. His first cross was over the heads of everyone, while his attempted cut back to Aimar Govea at the edge of the box was intercepted.

Rohan Davies was the first to register a shot on target in the match but shot-stopper Harrison Chamberlain used every inch of his 6ft 4in frame to make a fingertip save low down to his left.

The Swans then had a couple of opportunities from set-pieces. Jada Mawongo going closest when his header from Govea’s in-swinging delivery was deflected over.

But the hosts suffered a setback when Uwandu struck twice in short order. Firstly, he hammered the ball into the roof of the net from a narrow angle after Colchester pinched the ball back high up the pitch, and three minutes later he turned in a low cross from the right to give the visitors the half-time lead.

Colchester began the second half just as they had finished the first and Arnold extended the lead in less than a minute after holding off a challenge and slotting the ball inside the far post.

It was a long way back for the Swans from there and the game became a scrappy and stop-start affair, though the visitors probably posed the bigger threat without actually testing Margetson in the Swans goal.

But Uwanda soon dragged wide of the near post, while Arnold blasted another over the bar as Colchester again threatened.

The Swans stuck at their task, Zane Myers twisted and turned in the opposition box before eventually seeing his effort deflected narrowly over the crossbar.

Chamberlain was very nearly caught out when he miskicked a clearance into the middle of the park, but substitute Thomas Woodward needed a fraction too long to loop the ball goalward and the keeper was able to recover and prevent him finding the net.

But, in the end, it was Colchester who would extend their lead. Margetson made the initial stop but the clearance fell to Ayman who – with the keeper still on the floor – hammered into an empty net.

Swans created two good chances to get a consolation in the final minutes, but were unable to find the back of the net which rounded off a frustrating afternoon for the under-18s.

Swansea City Under-18s: Kit Margetson, Sam Parker, Zane Myers (Ramon Rees-Siso 82’), Arthur Parker (Thomas Woodward 62’), Jada Mawongo (David Roberts 65’), Richard Faakye, Josh Carey (captain), Jacob Cook, Geoff Bony, Aimar Govea, Rohan Davies.

Unused subs: Harvey Rees.

Colchester United Under-18s: Harrison Chamberlain, Trialist, Makhaya James, Max Joliffe, Bailey Berry, Frankie Edwards, Ewan Gordon-Clement (T’Aizo Marcel-Dilaver 90+2’), Bayan Aman (captain), Jamie Arnold (Trialist 72’), Milton Oni (Kennedy Mupomba 90+2), Samson Uwandu (Jayden Peglar 84’).

Unused subs: Andrew Palmer-Brown.