Report | Swansea City U18s 1 Watford U18s 2

30th April 2022
Iwan Morgan Under-18s

Ten-man Swansea City Under-18s suffered defeat to Watford despite a second-half fightback in their final home fixture of the Professional Development League season.

The Hornets scored either side of half-time, with Adian Manning burying a free kick just before the break and Remerio Moulton scoring just three minutes after the restart.

Iwan Morgan responded for the Swans, capitalising on a mistake from the Watford goalkeeper for a simple tap in.

But the challenge for the Swans was made even harder after Josh Carey was given a second yellow card, and despite pushing for a leveller, they wouldn’t be able to find it.

The defeat brought an end to an end a run of three consecutive wins for the under-18s, and this was their only loss in the month April

Filip Lissah was handed the armband for the Swans for the first time since joining the club in the summer, taking the armband from Josh Edwards.

The Swans started the game positively, with Corey Hurford rattling the crossbar with a deflected effort just four minutes in.

Morgan had the chance to put Swansea ahead after he was sent through by Geoff Bony. Morgan did well to hold off two Watford defenders but couldn’t generate the power to trouble the goalkeeper.

The visitors first real chance came late in the first half, with Charlie Davies forcing a good save from Ben Hughes with his long-range effort. Moulton got to the rebound and flashed a cross through the Swansea six-yard box but couldn’t find a yellow shirt.

Zane Myers immediately led the charge on the counter-attack, bursting forward down the left before finding Bony on the edge of the area, but the forward dragged his effort just wide of the post.

But it would be the visitors who broke the deadlock on the brink of half-time, Manning firing a free-kick into the bottom right corner.

The Swans almost found an immediate response, Morgan breaking down the right and flashing a shot across the face of the Watford goal.

However, Watford would punish the Swans again at the start of the second half, Moulton finding space down the left and poking a shot underneath Hughes to double their lead.

But Morgan would pull one back just eight minutes later, capitalising on a mistake from the Watford goalkeeper to give him a simple tap in to half the deficit.

The Swans were almost level just two minutes later, Richard Faakye finding Morgan with a ball over the top, but Bony would fire his final shot just over the bar.

Moulton came close to restoring the Hornets two-goal lead, striking the post with a shot from a tight angle.

The challenge for the Swans was made more difficult as they were reduced to 10 men, Carey receiving a second yellow card for a late challenge with 27 minutes to go.

Despite the man disadvantage, the Swans challenged for an equaliser, with substitute Aimar Govea causing trouble for the Watford defence.

With just two minutes to go, captain Lissah struck the post, Charlie Veevers excellent delivery finding the wing back at the back post, but he couldn’t turn his shot in.

However, the Swans fightback would not be enough for them to snatch a point.

Swansea City: Ben Hughes, Filip Lissah (captain), David Roberts (Seb Dabrowski 73), Richard Faakye (Sam Parker 85), Jada Mawongo, Josh Carey, Corey Hurford, Charlie Veevers, Geoff Bony (Aimar Govea 73), Iwan Morgan, Zane Myers.

Unused subs: Ewan Griffiths, Jack Cooper.

Watford: Jonathan Macaulay, Hamzat Balogun (Albert Eames 55), Christos Batzelis, Charlie Davis (Jack Taylor 46), George Abbott, Harvey Peters, Michael Adu-Poku, Adian Manning, Tobi Adeyemo, Jack Grieves, Remeiro Moulton (Prince Sikiru 90).

Unused subs: Roraigh Browne, Alfie King.