Report | Swansea City U23s 0 Newcastle United U23s 4

3rd February
Cameron Evans

Swansea City Under-23s missed the chance to move fourth in Premier League 2 Division Two after going down 4-0 to Newcastle United at Landore.

The Swans’ five-match unbeaten run in the competition came to an end as the Magpies claimed victory.

The opening goal came after just 37 seconds with Adam Wilson finding the net from close range, before Yannick Toure's fine solo run culminated in a cross for Rosaire Longelo, who steered home from ten yards.

Elias Sorenson added a third with just over 20 minutes left before he teed up Toure for Newcastle’s fourth.

Despite the defeat, Jordon Garrick made his first appearance for just over three months as he continued his recovery from a hamstring injury.

The winger featured for the first half before being replaced by Marc Walsh.

Defeat leaves the Swans seventh in the table, with 21 points from 16 games.

Garrick was one of seven changes made by Jon Grey from last week’s victory over Everton in the Premier League International Cup.

Matthew Blake, Oli Cooper and Mason Jones-Thomas were among the survivors from that game along with Cameron Evans, who captained the under-23s for the first time.

Meanwhile, Daniel Williams also returned from injury for his first appearance in just under four months, while Liam Cullen’s step-up to the first team last weekend opened the door for Arnor Gudjohnsen to make his maiden start at this level.

Elsewhere, Lewis Webb replaced Josh Gould in goal and Jake Thomas was back in the heart of a four-man defence, with both sides occupied by trialists.

With three wins and two draws from their last five league games, the Swans went into this game in great form.

But that mattered little as the Magpies took the lead inside the opening minute.

Wilson’s predator instincts paid off as he was in the right place at the right time to fire past Lewis Webb from close range.

Toure went close to adding a second, only to poke wide from Longelo’s deflected cross.

Webb was called into action before the break as he had to dive across goal to divert Elliot Anderson’s volley wide.

He was at it again seconds later as the Swans keeper thwarted Sorenson’s low drive, before the Swans’ best effort of the half saw Mason Jones-Thomas blast over after being teed up on the edge of the box.

The hosts needed a reaction after the break, but Newcastle did well to control matters and keep their lead in tact.

Oli Cooper went close to levelling after being teed up by Gudjohnsen, but his shot was parried by Newcastle keeper Jake Turner.

Newcastle, though, made sure of victory with two goals in 12 minutes.

First, Langelo applied the finishing touches to Toure’s fine solo run and cross before Sorenson – a late addition to the starting XI following Ryan Barrett’s withdrawal moments before kick-off – calmly slotted past Webb from inside the box.

Then, with 11 minutes left, Sorenson rounded off a promising display as he centred for Toure to thump home Newcastle’s fourth and final goal.

Swans U23s: Lewis Webb; Trialist, Trialist (Josh Thomas, 69), Daniel Williams (Erick Kenko, 61), Cameron Evans (capt), Jake Thomas, Matthew Blake, Oli Cooper, Arnor Gudjohnsen, Mason Jones-Thomas, Jordon Garrick (Marc Walsh, ht).

Subs: Ben Erickson, Tivonge Rushesha.

Newcastle United U23s: Jake Turner, Lewis Cass, Oliver Walter, George Rounsfell (Lucas de Bolle, 77), Jude Swails, Oisin McEntee, Elias Sorenson, Elliot Anderson, Yannick Toure, Adam Wilson (Joshua Scott, 66), Rosaire Longelo (Joe Oliver, 83).

Subs: Nathan Harker.