Report: Wigan 0 Swans 0

2nd October 2018
First team

The Swans earned another valuable away point as they drew 0-0 with Wigan at the DW Stadium.

Graham Potter's side picked up a sixth clean sheet of the campaign in a game which could have gone either way.
It was the hosts who had arguably the best chance of the game with 12 minutes remaining as sub Will Grigg latched onto Matt Grimes' misplaced pass before being denied by a fine save from Kristoffer Nordfeldt.
The Swans, though, could have won it in the final stages only for Martin Olsson to see his effort from six yards out blocked on the line.
This result moves the Swans on to 17 points from 11 games.
Potter made three changes to the side which started against Queens Park Rangers.
Kristoffer Nordfeldt returned in goal in place of Erwin Mulder, who was on the bench. The Swede made his first appearance since the Carabao Cup defeat to Crystal Palace in late August.
The back four remained the same while Jay Fulton, who scored late on against QPR, and Barrie McKay were back in the starting side.
Courtney Baker-Richardson moved to the bench despite opening his account for the club last time out, while George Byers was not involved due to a minor injury.
Both sides created decent chances in the first half, with McKay seeing his low drive blocked out for a corner after Oli McBurnie was thwarted following Jay Fulton's cross.
Matt Grimes then had to be alert to get his head in front of Nick Powell's volley at the other end, while the Swans midfielder then struck a stinging volley which skimmed off the wet surface and was padded wide by Christian Walton.
Wigan's Michael Jacobs then volleyed wide from a Joe Garner cross as the home side continued to plug away.
It was the Swans who had the final threat of the half as Connor Roberts saw his goalbound effort swatted away by Walton following some neat link-up play with Fulton.
After the break, Fulton was denied by a fine block by Cedric Kipre before Roberts volleyed wide after some good work by sub Olsson.
The Swans kept pushing and were looking the more likely to break the deadlock.
The chances continued to follow for the visitors, with Leroy Fer driving a low effort wide after being teed up by Celina.
Rodon was again in the thick of it as he got onto the end of Grimes' corner but Walton reacted well to tip it over the crossbar.
While it was predominantly the Swans who were edging closer to an opener, it was Wigan who were gifted the best chance of the game.
Grimes' rare loose ball was collected by sub Grigg, but a fine save from the boot of Nordfeldt rescued the Swans.
Grigg then failed to connect properly with fellow sub Callum McManaman's cross before Celina and Olsson were denied in the latter stages.
Despite a final Swans push, Wigan held on for a share of the spoils.

Wigan: Christian Walton, Antonee Robinson, Cedric Kipre, Chey Dunkley, Reece James, Darron Gibson (Callum Connolly, 76), Lee Evans, Nick Powell (capt, Callum McManaman, 83), Michael Jacobs, Josh Windass, Joe Garner (Will Grigg, 55).

Subs: Jamie Jones, Alex Bruce, Gary Roberts, Kal Naismith.

Swans: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Kyle Naughton, Mike van der Hoorn (capt), Joe Rodon, Matt Grimes, Tom Carroll (Martin Olsson, 51), Jay Fulton (Wayne Routledge, 73), Bersant Celina, Connor Roberts, Barrie McKay (Leroy Fer, 65), Oli McBurnie.

Subs: Erwin Mulder, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Daniel James, Courtney Baker-Richardson.