Report | Wigan Athletic U23s 2 Swansea City U23s 2

28th April 2022
Cameron Evans u23

Ten-man Swansea City Under-23s ended their Professional Development League campaign with a draw at Wigan Athletic, despite a brace from Cameron Evans.

The Swans found themselves two goals up, Cameron Evans heading the Swans into the lead early, before the defender converted a second-half penalty to make it 2-0.

But the dismissal of Azeem Abdulai brought the Latics back into the game, with Charlie Hughes converting from two set-pieces to level matters for the hosts.

The draw sees the Swans end the season on a five-game unbeaten streak, but they will be frustrated not to have taken all three points after getting themselves into a strong position in the contest.

The Swans started superbly as they had done in their previous outing against Colchester, with Evans once again getting on the scoresheet.

A great set piece routine found Joe Thomas in space, allowing him to head across to Evans for his second goal in as many games.

Thomas had the chance to make it 2-0 soon after, Lincoln Mcfayden finding the full-back at the back post with a low cross, but he couldn’t turn an effort on target.

Tarrelle Whittaker entered the referee's book for a poor challenge on Divin Baningime, causing an extended stoppage that saw the Latics forward able to continue after prolonged treatment.

But Whittaker was soon close to doubling the Swans lead, his curling effort from a tight angle being cleared off the line by Kieran Lloyd.

Soon after, Ben Lloyd had a chance to get on the scoresheet, Mcfayden finding the midfielder in the box, only for him to drag his effort just wide.

Wigan came out looking stronger in the second half, reducing the relentless stream of possession Swansea had enjoyed in the first half, with Harry McHugh coming close with a free-kick from distance.

But the Swans would double their lead as they grew into the half, Kyrell Wilson had his shirt pulled and torn by his marker in the box, leading the referee to point to the spot.

Evans stepped up and confidently buried the penalty into the top right corner for his second of the afternoon.

However, just moments after the Swans had doubled their lead, they were reduced to 10 men. Captain Abdulai being shown a straight red card for a strong challenge in the middle of the park.

The hosts immediately capitalised on their man advantage, McHugh finding Hughes at the back post, who tapped in to pull one back for Wigan.

Hughes soon had the chance to equalise, McHugh finding him in the box once again but this time he fired over the bar.

But the defender would eventually have his second, converting Luca Latona’s corner at the back post to level for the Latics.

Wigan continued to search for a winner, Joe Adams forcing an excellent diving save from Nico Defreitas-Hansen with just five minutes remaining.

Despite the pressure, the Swans held strong to earn a point to bring their season to an end.

Wigan Athletic: Sam Tickle, Kieran Lloyd, Luca Latona, Charlie Hughes, Adam Long, Scott Smith (captain) (Kai Payne 76), Harry McHugh, Trialist, Joe Adams, Baba Adeeko, Divin Baningime.

Unused subs: Tom Watson, Kyle Worsley, Ruben Grewal, Jack Reilly.

Swansea City: Nico Defreitas-Hansen, Joe Thomas, Jacob Jones, Kai Ludvigsen, Lincoln Mcfayden, Cameron Evans, Azeem Abdulai (captain), Joel Cotterill, Ben Lloyd, Tarrelle Whittaker (Sam Leverett 46), Kyrell Wilson (Dylan Morgan 77).

Unused subs: Ben Hughes, Filip Lissah, Corey Hurford.