Swans U21s 1-1 Millwall (4-2*)

29th October 2013

Swans Under-21s go through to the third-round of the Premier League Cup after beating Millwall 4-2 on penalties.

Kenji Gorre, Dan Alfei, Rory Donnelly and James Loveridge converted the penalties for the Swans, while Gregor Zabret performed heroics to save Tom Bender's spot-kick.

Despite going behind to an early strike from Aiden O'Brien, the Swans were dominant for the majority of the game and were rewarded for their performance through a second-half equaliser from Liam Shephard.

Henry Jones' drilled free-kick into the box made its way through a number of bodies, eventually finding Shephard at the far post, who slotted home into the far corner.

In a well-fought encounter, neither side were able to find the elusive winner in normal time - or indeed extra-time - but the Swans were able to hold their nerve in the penalty shootout.

SWANSEA CITY U21s: Gregor Zabret, Liam Shephard, Jernade Meade (Joseph Jones, 100), Henry Jones (Josh Sheehan, 110), Daniel Alfei, Scott Tancock, Alex Bray (James Loveridge, 90), Lee Lucas, Kris Scott, Rory Donnelly, Kenji Gorre.

SUBS: Oliver Davies, Alex Gogic.

 Denzell Gerrar, Josh Siafa, Tom Bender, Josh Wright, Sid Nelson, Will de Havilland, Niall McManus, Jack Powell (B. Thompson, 70), Aiden O'Brien (J. Philpotts, 105), Fred Oryedinma, Charlie Penny.

SUBS: C. Webb, T. Beadle, K. Farrell

The visitors got off to a great start through Aiden O'Brien inside the first five minutes.

The Millwall striker found some space inside the area before swivelling on the ball and striking past Zabret.

But only minutes later, Rory Donnelly nearly got the Swans back on terms, only for the Denzell Gerrar to save his low drive.

The in-form striker latched onto a neatly threaded through ball, but his shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

Just after 20 minutes, the Swans had their best chance of the half, only for Donnelly's shot to be cleared off the line.

The golden opportunity came following a superb flowing move, involving Kris Scott, Kenji Gorre and Lee Lucas.

Intricate play between the Swans led to Scott crossing across the six-yard box to Donnelly, but somehow his effort was cleared to safety.

But it wasn't long until the Swans had another opportunity - this time through Liam Shephard.

The young full-back dribbled his way into the area before his shot was deflected past the post.

The chances kept coming for the Swans though, with two opportunities coming in quick succession.

First Henry Jones nearly managed to turn in Alex Bray's low cross, before Scott had an effort from the edge of the area deflected around the post.

Just after the half hour mark, another chance fell to Scott as Jernade Meade found him just inside the box.

With some clever footwork, the young attacker managed to get the ball on to his right foot before unleashing a shot that flew just past the post.

The Swans were dominant in the opening half but were just unable to find the finishing touch in front of goal.

HALF-TIME: Swansea City 0 Millwall 1 

In comparison to the frenetic pace of the first half, the second period began at a slower pace.

The Swans continued to press their opponents goal and were finally rewarded for their efforts in the 66th minute through Liam Shephard.

After Donnelly's free-kick was turned around the post by Gerrer, Shephard managed to get the much deserved equaliser from another free-kick to the right of the 18-yard box.

Henry Jones' drilled cross managed to find its way through a number of players to Shephard, who slotted home into the far corner of the goal.

With the game in the balance, the remaining 20 minutes became a much more even affair.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Aiden O'Brien missed a great opportunity to restore the visitor's lead, before Charlie Penny also had a chance to score Millwall's second.

After great work by Fred Oryedinma down the left wing, O'Brien failed to convert the winger's cross, hitting wide from six-yards out.

A similar opportunity fell to Penny, who also missed the target from point blank range, hitting his first-time shot over the bar.


At the end of 90 minutes, the game remained all square. Extra time was needed to decide this one.

FULL-TIME: Swansea City 1-1 Millwall

The Swans began extra time the fresher looking side, and nearly took the lead through Kenji Gorre.

After a good interchange with Scott, the Swans winger made his way into the area before rifling a shot just past the post.

Just before end of the first period of extra-time, Millwall had a chance of their own to take the lead.

A long throw into the box found Oryedinma, but the wide man was unable to find the target, blasting high over the bar.

During the second half of extra time, both sides had chances to find the elusive winner but were unable to convert.

Swansea substitute Joseph Jones glanced a header wide before Millwall's Penny shot wide from an acute angle.

With neither side able to find a winner, the match went to penalties.

The Swans held their nerve to win 4-2, courtesy of penalties from Gorre, Alfei, Donnelly and Loveridge, sending them through to the third round of the Premier League Cup.

PENALTIES: Swansea City 4-2 Millwall