Swansea City Under-21s Aston Villa Premier League Division Two

22nd February 2016

Swansea City Under-21s slipped to a 2-1 defeat to ten-man Aston Villa at the Banks's Stadium in Premier League Division Two on Monday.
Despite creating a number of chances the Swans found themselves 2-0 at half-time thanks to goals from Kienan Davies and Riccardo Calder.
Villa were reduced to ten men 12 minutes into the second half when Tom Leggett was shown a second yellow card.
Swans striker Oliver McBurnie converted a penalty on 62 minutes after Alex Bray was fouled but despite further chances the Swans could not find an equaliser.

The Swans made three changes heading into the game, with midfielders Adnan Maric and Daniel James returning to the starting line-up.
Goalkeeper Josh Vickers also returned from injury to make his first start for the development squad since the defeat away against Fulham at the end of October last year. 
New signing Ryan Blair was on the bench alongside U18s wing-back Aaron Lewis.

ASTON VILLA U21s: Victor Johannson, Tom Leggett, Joshua Webb, Jordan Lyden (capt), Niall Mason, Easah Suliman, Riccardo Calder, Henry Cowans, Kienan Davies (Ben Swift, 73), Jerell Sellars (Callum O'Hare, 78), Andre Green (Rory Hale, 58)
SUBS: Emmanuel Idem, Khalid Abdo

SWANS U21s: Josh Vickers, Liam Shephard (Capt), Raheem Hanley, Adnan Maric (Lee Lucas, 46), Joe Rodon, Keston Davies, Daniel James, Adam King, Oliver McBurnie, Josh Sheehan (Ryan Blair, 86), Alex Bray (Botti Biabi, 84)
SUBS: Gregor Zabret, Aaron Lewis.

Swansea started brightly under the lights at the Banks's Stadium with Alex Bray going close to breaking the deadlock after five minutes, but the winger fired over from six yards following Oliver McBurnie's knockdown.
Bray soon turned provider during the fast-flowing game as he whipped in a dangerous cross from the right to find Adnan Maric in the box, only for the ball to be cleared at the far post by Tom Leggett.
The Swans went close again from a series of corners after 15 minutes as McBurnie saw his first header scrambled clear before his second effort was clawed out of the air by Villa keeper Victor Johnnson.
At the other end, Swans keeper Josh Vickers pulled off an acrobatic one-handed save to keep out Henry Cowans' powerful free-kick.
Despite creating a number of chances, the young Swans fell behind just before the 20-minute mark as Villa frontman Kienan Davies' header looped over Vickers and into the Swans net from Leggett's corner.
Daniel James went closest to getting Swansea back on level terms only to see his low shot sail narrowly wide of the post.
However, Villa doubled their lead minutes before the break when an Andre Green cross caught the Swans defence napping and Riccardo Calder headed home at the far post.

HALF-TIME: Aston Villa U21s 2 Swans U21s 0

Swansea looked to get back into the game after the break, and winger James saw his header saved by Johannson after 55 minutes.
Villa were reduced to ten men just minutes later when Leggett was given a second yellow for kicking the ball away.
And the visitors were handed a lifeline just before the hour mark as they were awarded a penalty after Bray was brought down by Easah Suliman. McBurnie converted from 12 yards to get the Swans back into the game,
The young Swans continued to press, with McBurnie and substitute Lee Lucas seeing their shots blocked by the Villa's defence.
But the home side did not give up on the counter attack with Sellars' shot inside the area forcing a crucial save from the legs of Vickers.
Swans defender Raheem Hanley then made a last-ditch tackle to deny the Villa attack five minutes later before Vickers denied Jordan Lyden.
Swansea desperately searched for an equaliser in the final moments, but Villa held strong for victory.