Year in Review | November

31st December 2019
First team
Wigan Sam Surridge

As 2019 draws to a close, we reflect on the events of November, which began with a trip to the DW Stadium to face an in-form Wigan Athletic.

Nathan Dyer gave Swansea the lead with his first league goal for the club since 2014, but Wales international Kieffer Moore equalised from the penalty spot soon after.

The game appeared to be heading for a draw until the second minute of stoppage time, when substitute Sam Surridge rose to meet Connor Roberts’ cross and plant a firm header past David Marshall into the bottom corner.

That victory briefly moved the Swans back to the top of the Championship table, but they were dealt a blow the following week as winger Jordon Garrick was ruled out for three months with a hamstring injury.

Steve Cooper’s side produced the late, late show once again at Hillsborough – this time, to salvage a point against Sheffield Wednesday.

The Swans were on course for their first away defeat in the Championship as Andre Ayew’s first-half strike was cancelled out by Fernando Forestieri, while Morgan Fox completed the turnaround in stoppage time.

But there was to be one final twist as Ben Wilmot thwarted a heart-breaking defeat; heading home Matt Grimes’ corner in front of an ecstatic and relieved Jack Army.

Ben Wilmot

There was also plenty of reason for the Swans to cheer on the international front.

Connor Roberts started for the Wales senior side as a 2-0 win over Hungary – courtesy of a brace from Aaron Ramsey – saw Ryan Giggs’ side book their place at the Euro 2020 finals.

Joe Rodon also featured for Wales during their campaign as they reached a major tournament for the second time in 62 years.

At under-21 level, Liam Cullen scored the only goal of the game with a wonder strike as Wales beat Bosnia and Herzegovina 1-0 in a European qualifier in Wrexham.

Striker Cullen was joined by fellow Swans Jack Evans, Brandon Cooper and Ben Cabango in the starting line-up, while Joe Lewis was an unused substitute.

There was also victory for Wales at under-19 level as a 2-0 win over Kosovo booked their place in the elite round of the European Championships.

Connor Roberts

Back at club level, Swansea’s three-match unbeaten run came to an end as Jed Wallace’s free-kick gave Millwall a 1-0 win at the Liberty.

Cooper’s side then had to settle for a share of the spoils against Huddersfield Town, who held them to a 1-1 draw on a cold Tuesday night in West Yorkshire.

Jay Fulton had put the Swans in front with his first goal of the season, but Karlan Grant equalised soon after to earn a point at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The month was to end in frustration as despite a positive performance at the Liberty, they succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Fulham.

Aleksandar Mitrovic’s first-half double had put the visitors in control and the Swans fought hard in search of a point after George Byers pulled a goal back, but were just unable to find the equaliser.