On This Day | Nelson stars at St James' Park

25th April 2020
Newcastle 2015

Swansea City ensured they would end the season with their highest Premier League points tally thanks to a 3-2 win over Newcastle United on April 25, 2015.

Nelson Oliveira, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jack Cork were all on target as Garry Monk’s side came from behind to take the three points at St James’ Park.

That took the Swans’ points tally for the season to 50; their highest total achieved since promotion to the Premier League in 2011.

The visitors were facing a struggling Newcastle side who were sitting precariously close to the relegation zone following a run of six consecutive defeats.

Nevertheless, the hosts took the lead after 20 minutes as Jordi Amat inadvertently diverted Emmanuel Riviere’s cross straight into the path of Ayoze Perez, who made no mistake from close range.

Monk’s men responded by levelling in the second minute of first-half stoppage time when Oliveira headed in his first Swansea goal from Sigurdsson’s corner.

Nelson Oliveira Newcastle 2015

Provider turned goalscorer as the Swans completed the turnaround four minutes after the break. Oliveira cleverly dummied Jefferson Montero’s low cross into the penalty area, allowing Sigurdsson the space to tuck the ball home.

Oliveira was influential again as Swansea moved 3-1 to the good with 19 minutes remaining. Following a neat move, the Portuguese latched onto Cork’s initial through ball, before crossing for the unmarked midfielder to finish.

Newcastle pulled one back three minutes from time as Siem de Jong neatly volleyed in Jack Colback’s deep cross but, despite a few nervy moments, the Swans held out for the points.

Four years earlier, Brendan Rodgers’ Swansea secured their Championship play-off place with a comfortable 4-1 victory over Ipswich Town at the Liberty.

Fabio Borini Ipswich 2011

The Swans scored twice inside the opening 15 minutes with Fabio Borini and Luke Moore beating Ipswich keeper Arran Lee-Barrett.

Colin Healy pulled one back for the visitors seven minutes later, but the hosts soon regained their two-goal cushion as Borini found the net for the sixth time in seven appearances since arriving on loan from Chelsea.

Scott Sinclair put the result beyond doubt 20 minutes from time; slotting home goal number 23 of the season from the penalty spot after Leon Britton was fouled by Mark Kennedy.