On This Day | Swansea City sign off at the Vetch

11th May 2020

Swansea City said farewell to the Vetch Field with victory over Wrexham in the FAW Premier Cup final on May 11, 2005.

Having sealed promotion to League One with a win at Bury four days earlier, the Swans had further reason to celebrate as they came from behind to see off the Dragons in front of a 9,000-strong crowd.

Kenny Jackett’s side were aiming to give the club’s home of 93 years the perfect send-off before their move to the brand-new Liberty Stadium in the summer.

However, they fell behind on the hour mark as some sloppy defending allowed future Swansea defender Dennis Lawrence to cross for Juan Ugarte, who made no mistake from close range.

But the hosts responded and dragged themselves level just eight minutes later, when Lee Trundle embarked on a strong run into the box before his cross was headed into his own net by Shaun Pejic.

Andy Robinson Vetch

Trundle was instrumental again as the Swans completed the turnaround 14 minutes from time.

The striker controlled Willy Gueret’s long clearance before releasing substitute Andy Robinson, who sent a left-footed volley flying past Wrexham goalkeeper Ben Foster, sparking wild celebrations among the Jack Army.

The final whistle was met by a pitch invasion by the home fans, allowing them one final opportunity to tread the hallowed Vetch turf and say goodbye to their old home.

A decade on and a further two promotions later, the Swans were on course to record an eighth-place finish in the Premier League.

Garry Monk’s side took a giant step towards achieving that with an impressive 1-0 win away at Arsenal.

Bafetimbi Gomis’ late header secured the victory and, with it, the Swans’ first league double over the Gunners in 32 years.

Adopting a six-man midfield, the Swans had former Arsenal goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski to thank for some terrific saves that denied Santi Cazorla and Aaron Ramsey.

And the visitors snatched the points five minutes from time when goal-line technology ruled that Gomis’ header had crossed the line before it was palmed away by David Ospina.