FULL-TIME: Swans 0 West Ham 0

27th October 2013

The Swans picked up another point as they were held to a 0-0 draw by West Ham at the Liberty.
The visitors edged the first half and they went close via Stewart Downing, Guy Demel and Mohamed Diame while Angel Rangel had to clear near his own line after a ball squirmed off the gloves of Michel Vorm.
Chico Flores' header was the best the Swans offered in the first period, but keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen did well to prevent him from scoring.
In the second half, Michael Laudrup's side stepped up a gear, and Chico again went close but his effort was cleared off the line seconds after substitute Wilfried Bony was denied by a fantastic Jaaskelainen reflex save.
Sub Carlton Cole went close for the Hammers in injury time, only to be prevented by Vorm, while the home support thought they had good cause for a penalty claim after Nathan Dyer's cross met the arm of a West Ham defender.
But, in the end, both teams were forced to settle for a share of the spoils with the Swans moving into 9th place with 11 points from nine games.

The Swans made seven changes to their starting XI.
Skipper Ashley Williams returned from injury as he made his first appearance since the win at Crystal Palace over a month ago, while Alvaro Vazquez earned his second start since arriving on loan from Getafe.
Michel Vorm was back between the sticks while Angel Rangel was given the nod at right-back while Leon Britton and Jonathan de Guzman returned to midfield with Wayne Routledge the final change out wide in place of Alejandro Pozuelo.
On the bench, Pablo Hernandez had recovered from a hamstring injury and he joined record signing Wilfried Bony among the substitutes, while Jonjo Shelvey missed out through injury.

SWANS: Michel Vorm, Angel Rangel, Chico Flores, Ashley Williams (capt), Neil Taylor, Leon Britton, Jonathan de Guzman, Michu, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge (Pablo Hernandez, 61), Alvaro Vazquez (Wilfried Bony, 67).
SUBS: Gerhard Tremmel, Dwight Tiendalli, Jordi Amat, Jose Canas, Alejandro Pozuelo.

WEST HAM: Jussi Jaaskelainen, Winston Reid, Kevin Nolan (capt), James Tomkins, Razvan Rat, Ricardo Vaz Te (Matt Jarvis, 34), Ravel Morrison (Joe Cole, 78), Mark Noble, Guy Demel, Mohamed Diame (Carlton Cole, 64), Stewart Downing.
SUBS: Adrian, Modibo Maiga, Matt Taylor, Joey O'Brien.

West Ham made the early threats at goals as they showed their intent with Stewart Downing twice testing Michel Vorm while Guy Demel fired over from a corner whipped into the box.
Alvaro Vazquez headed down low from Wayne Routledge's cross, but Jussi Jaaskelainen collected comfortably.
The keeper then had to be at his best to keep out Chico Flores' powerful header from a Jonathan de Guzman corner, and then West Ham countered immediately through Ravel Morrison, but he scuffed his effort wide.
West Ham then went close to breaking the scoring as Razvan Rat's free-kick skidded off the top of Vorm's gloves and headed goalwards, but Angel Rangel cleared two yards from his own line.
The visitors continued to threaten, and they caused havoc with a few corners, one of which saw Demel head over from six yards.
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce was forced into a change past the half hour mark, with Matt Jarvis replacing the injured Ricardo Vaz Te.
Mohamed Diame then wasted a decent chance for the Hammers, heading over from an inswinging free-kick just six yards out, and Kevin Nolan failed to direct Jarvis' cross on target in what proved to be the last action of the half.

HALF-TIME: Swans 0 West Ham 0

The Swans started the second half far brighter and enjoyed more of the territorial advantage.
Nathan Dyer's mazy run and cross down the right just failed the outstretched boot of Vazquez while Michu rifled a 25-yard shot which Jaaskelainen collected after his initial parry.
Michael Laudrup made changes near the hour mark, with Pablo Hernandez and Wilfried Bony coming on in place of Wayne Routledge and Vazquez while the Hammers sent on Carlton Cole for Diame.
Bony almost made an immediate impact as Angel Rangel's header from de Guzman's corner fell to the feet of the Ivorian, but his shot from eight yards out was kept out by Jaaskelainen before Mark Noble cleared Chico's header from the rebound off his own line.
At the other end there was another close call, with Jarvis heading over from just six yards out after Demel had flicked on a cross.
Then, in added on time, sub Carlton Cole leapt highest to nod on a long free-kick towards goal, but Vorm sprang across goal to collect.
The Swans thought they had a strong claim for a penalty late on in the four minutes after Nathan Dyer's cross hit the arm of a West Ham defender, but referee Phil Dowd waved away the appeals.
That was the end of the action, with the Swans having to settle for a point as they moved up to 11th place.