Leroy's Leeds pride

23rd August
First team

Leroy Fer has spoken of his pride after leading Swansea City out against Leeds United.

The midfielder made his first start in more than six months in Tuesday’s entertaining 2-2 draw having battled back from a ruptured Achilles.

A big occasion for Fer – who has fought hard to get back to fitness – was made even more significant because he captained the Swans for the first time since Graham Potter made him the club’s new skipper.

And a delighted Fer savoured the moment as he helped Potter’s side continue their unbeaten start to the Championship season.

“I am very happy to have finally started a game again after a long injury lay-off,” he said.

“It was even better to do in in front of the home fans, and I was very proud to lead the team out as captain.

“I love this club and it is really an honour be the club captain.

“Leeds was a hard game for us but a good one from our point of view. We played good attacking football at times and created a lot of chances and I felt we were unlucky not to win.”

Fer made his comeback from injury in the win over Preston 12 days ago, when he stepped off the bench for the final 15 minutes.

The Dutch international then came on midway through the second half at Birmingham last Friday, before Potter decided the time was right for him to come into the Swans’ starting side to face Leeds.

Unsurprisingly, Fer’s energy levels dipped as Tuesday’s game wore on – he was eventually withdrawn on 74 minutes – but he made a big impression as the Swans outplayed Leeds for long periods.

“It was hard out there,” Fer added.

“The first 10 minutes was a high pace for me but after I got my rhythm I settled in.

“The tank was empty in the latter stages of the second half so I had to come off, but I was happy to play a good 70 minutes.

“I will continue to work hard in the next couple of days with our medical staff but hopefully I can play another number of minutes to help the team against Bristol City on Saturday.”