Past meetings: Swans v Forest

12th September 2018
First team

​​​​​​​As the Swans get set to face Nottingham Forest at the Liberty on Saturday (3pm), we take a look back at some previous encounters between the clubs.

Here we recall past meetings in the play-offs, the Championship and League One.


Swans 3 Nottingham Forest 1

Championship play-offs – May 16, 2011

Was this the most thrilling game the Liberty has seen? If not, then it is right up there.

The stakes could not have been higher when the Swans and Forest last met.

Four days earlier, the Championship play-off final semi-final first leg had ended 0-0 at the City Ground despite Neil Taylor’s second-minute red card.

After a supreme effort in that game, the Swans returned and finished the job on a pulsating night in SA1.

Leon Britton put the hosts ahead with a stunning finish on 28 minutes – it proved to be his last goal in professional football – before Stephen Dobbie quickly doubled the advantage.

But Forest fought back in the second half, and put the cat amongst the pigeons when Robert Earnshaw made it 2-1 on 80 minutes.

Anxiety reigned at the Liberty as Forest won a stoppage-time corner, with keeper Lee Camp coming forward as the visitors attempted to save their season.

But when the set-piece was cleared to Darren Pratley, he raced forward before steering the ball into the empty Forest net from just inside his own half.

Brendan Rodgers memorably raced down the touchline in celebration as the Jack Army erupted.


Swans 3 Nottingham Forest 1

Championship – August 16, 2008

The Swans’ first home game as a Championship club was against Colin Calderwood’s Forest in 2008.

Roberto Martinez’s team had reached the second tier courtesy of a memorable League One title triumph.

And having lost at Charlton on the opening day, they quickly registered a maiden victory at the higher level as Forest were beaten in SA1.

The hosts went ahead early on when Leon Britton’s effort ricocheted off Forest keeper Paul Smith for an own goal.

Forest equalised against the run of play when James Perch headed home, and for a while it seemed the game would end level.

But the Swans were awarded a penalty on 71 minutes when Wes Morgan fouled Tom Butler and, despite seeing his spot-kick saved, Ferrie Bodde followed up to put Martinez’s men in front.

Victory was sealed late on when Gorka Pintado drilled home from Mark Gower’s cross.


Swans 1 Nottingham Forest 1

League One – September 24, 2005

Roberto Martinez scored what proved to be his final goal for Swansea City to secure a draw for his team in one of the club’s earliest Liberty Stadium games.

Kenny Jackett’s side were heading for defeat after Willy Gueret saved from David Johnson and Jack Lester pounced on the loose ball to give Forest a 54th-minute lead.

But urged on a by a sell-out crowd, the Swans fought back.

Marc Goodfellow should have levelled when he fired over from point-blank range.

Martinez showed him the way six minutes from time when he produced a sweet finish from the edge of the box.