Report: Wolves 0 Swans 0

6th January 2018
First team

The Swans battled out a goalless draw in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup against runaway Championship leaders Wolves at Molinuex.

The stalemate means the two clubs will have to face off again in a replay at the Liberty Stadium.

The game saw two red cards after Ruben Vinagre was sent off in the 40th minute for a dangerous challenge on Nathan Dyer.
Swansea’s Leroy Fer followed in bizarre fashion in the 67th minute for a trip on Helda Costa.

Instead of a standard yellow, referee Anthony Taylor brandished a straight red to the amazement of the Swansea bench.

Swans boss Carlos Carvalhal made six changes to the side which started against Tottenham in midweek.

In came goalkeeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Kyle Bartley, Fer, Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony and debutant Connor Roberts following his return from a loan spell at Middlesbrough.

They replaced Lukasz Fabianski, Angel Rangel, Alfie Mawson, Sam Clucas, Tom Carroll and Jordan Ayew.

Nuno Espirito Santo also rang the changes with six new faces from the side which beat Brentford 3-0 on Tuesday to extend Wolves’ lead at the top of the Championship to 12 points.

Wolves made all the early running as the Swans took time to settle with the home side creating the first chance after six minutes when Martin Olsson gave the ball away.

Bright Enobakhare found space to shoot, but his effort was beaten away by Nordfeldt.

Six minutes later and youngster Morgan Gibbs-White got in behind the Swans defence, but Nordfeldt again made a good save.

Swansea finally settled though and started to enjoy some possession without troubling Norris in the Wolves goal until two long-range efforts from Renato Sanches and Routledge.

Prior to that though Nordfeldt was again called into action in the 26th minute, this time denying Helder Costa with another fine save.

Wolves kept creating chances as N'Diaye met Costa's cross with a header which Nordfeldt saved. The rebound fell to Enobakhare, but he blasted wide with the goal gaping.

There was a blow for the Swans in the 33rd minute as Sanches limped off injured to be replaced by Tom Carroll.

Olsson then came close to opening the scoring as his free-kick was tipped onto the bar.

Swansea were soon playing against 10 men when Vinagre was shown a straight red for a dangerous challenge on Nathan Dyer five minutes before the break.

After a scrappy start to the second half, Jordan Ayew replaced Fernandez with 55 minutes gone as the visitors looked to take advantage of the extra man.

The change seemed to have the desired effect as Bony forced a fine save from Norris in the 61st minute with a fierce shot as the Swans nearly caught Wolves on the counter-attack.

Just when the Swans were looking the most likely to break the deadlock, they were reduced to 10 men themselves in the 67th minute as Leroy Fer received a ridiculous straight red for a trip on Costa when a booking was the obvious punishment.



Wolves: Will Norris, Matt Doherty, Ryan Bennett, Conor Coady (capt), Kortney Hause, Ruben Vinagre, Morgan Gibbs-White (Barry Douglas), Alfred N’Diaye, Helder Costa, Bright Enobakhare (Ivan Cavaleiro 65), Leo Bonatini (Rafa Mir 77).
Subs (not used): Harry Burgoyne, Roderick Miranda, Oskar Rasmussen, Pedro Goncalves.

Swans: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Connor Roberts, Mike van der Hoorn, Federico Fernandez (capt; Jordan Ayew 55), Kyle Bartley, Martin Olsson, Nathan Dyer, Leroy Fer, Renato Sanches (Tom Carroll 34), Wayne Routledge, Wilfried Bony (Roque Mesa 74).
Subs (not used): Erwin Mulder, Jay Fulton, Luciano Narsingh, Oli McBurnie.