SwansAid winners revealed
Swans Community Trust is set to donate over £14,000 – as well as kits – to local sporting organisations across South West Wales through SwansAid.
As the club’s grant-giving pot, SwansAid welcomes applications for funding and kits twice a season and since its inception in September 2013 it has distributed over £130,000 to a variety of clubs, projects and community organisations to help them to improve sporting opportunities for children, young people and those with a disability.
From surfing and circus groups to rugby and football, an array of sports have benefited from SwansAid over the past four seasons, and this month the Community Trust have announced the latest winners in the following categories:
Up to £10,000 category
• The Play and Leisure Opportunity Library - £10,000 for equipment to support positive skill acquisition in children with disabilities. This will help to regulate their sensory system so as to achieve functional movement and empower the children to participate in more.
Up to £2,000 category:
• Bonymaen Kids Play Initiative – £475 to fund sport and activity equipment for year round after school clubs, their Saturday Club and three week Summer Playscheme.
• 215 City of Swansea Squadron Royal Air Force Air Cadets - £2,000 for the purchase of cycle trainers to support up to 80 cadets, some of whom will be completing the Duke of Edinburgh award.
• Penlan RFC Juniors – £1999.29 to support the club’s growth and purchase new equipment which is needed.
Community Trust Assistant Head of Community, Helen Elton, said: “The Trust is delighted to announce that another group of organisations have been awarded SwansAid funding. These grants will be put towards a variety of uses including purchasing new equipment.”
“It’s absolutely amazing,” said Judy Lynch, a project leader from The Play and Leisure Opportunity Library. “We cannot thank the Community Trust enough. This will benefit our members by providing a unique opportunity to reach their potential and develop their skills through activity.
Penlan’s Junior Secretary, Mike Rush, said: “We at Penlan Juniors are so humbled and grateful for the award.
"It will allow us to reach out to so many more children in the area and offer them the opportunity to experience the benefits that everyone involved in rugby has experienced.”
Additionally the following sports clubs have been awarded SwansAid kits to compete in for next season:
• Dafen Welfare
• Gowerton Primary PTA
• Goytre United U14s
• Hundleton Junior Football Club
• Llangwm Juniors AFC
• Pontarddulais Football Juniors
• Port Tennant Colts Juniors
• Pwll Juniors
• Wellfield Athletic AFC
• Ynystawe Juniors
For more information about SwansAid, contact Helen Elton at Helen@scfccommunitytrust.co.uk